Monday, April 20, 2009

Yes It's Blue!!!


Emily has decided that its time she did something with her hair. She is not happy with the color or cut. She is mad that we cut all her long hair off and she can no longer put it in a ponytail. She also had decided that she wants a different color. When I asked her what color she wanted, I was thinking blonde highlights like mine, or black like her brothers, or red like her cousin. The answer I got made me think for a moment. She wanted red. Not like her cousins natural red hair but punk rocker red like Allison on American Idol. Not only did she want it red, but she only wanted red highlights. We told her when she is older.


Well a few days later she brought it up again, and again. She was not going to let it drop and boy will she be a good lawyer when she grows up. So finally we gave in. We told her she could color it for the summer, something temporary that would be gone for school in the fall. After talking with all my friends, who suggested coloring it in cool aide or semi permanent dye at a salon, I found at toys r us a tool that puts washable hair dye in your hair. Crazy colors too, red, blue, gold, and silver. We gave it to Emily for her birthday and what a big hit. The morning of her birthday party she had red hair. Then on the 15th, her birthday she put blue in her hair and went to school. The school didn't say anything about it. Since then she has gone to school everyday with a different color hair. She loves the blue.

I have gone to school to see performances and have lunch with her and other parents look at me like I am crazy. I let my 6 year old color her hair blue?? If I let her color her hair now , what is she going to be able to get away with when she is older?? I see no difference with the hair color than a temporary tattoo. Its washable, just for fun. How many parents put those on their kids and thats ok. But add some washable haircolor and now my kid is out of control?? I don't think so.

No comments: